A good one for a hot day! Make at least 30 minutes before serving or even better, the day or morning before. I like to serve this with a seasonal fruit salad (e.g., mangoes, pineapples, and strawberries). The sweetness of the fruits really compliments the salad.
Black Bean Salad
- 2 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed well
- 4 ears fresh corn, cooked for 7 minutes in just barely boiling water, kernals cut off
- 1 cup diced zucchini (skin on)
- 1 cup diced yellow squash (skin on)
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa (from produce department or homemade…my salsa recipe here)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine rice, veggies and beans. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine salsa, olive oil, and herbs. Stir well. Combine veggie mix and salsa mix. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, check for salt & pepper – add as necessary. Makes 4 servings = 6 pts each.