The color and subtle flavor of these super quick pickles is spectacular! They use the round, yellow, very mild lemon cucumbers that you can find at the farmers market this time of year. The resulting pickles are only the tiniest bit sweet and you could reduce the sugar even further if you’d like. The fresh tumeric and pink peppercorns can be mildly tricky to find, but are worth the effort. Powdered tumeric and white peppercorns can be substituted in the same amounts. If you can’t find lemon cucumbers any mild baby cucumber will do. You could also substitute freshly grated ginger root for the crystalized ginger, that reduces the sweetness and ups the bite a little bit. In any case, the longer the pickles chill, the more intense the flavor. One quarter cup of pickles is one point.
Lemon Cucumber Quick Pickles
- 1 1/2 cup unpeeled, quartered, and sliced lemon cucumbers
- 1/2 cup quartered and thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated peeled turmeric root
- 1/4 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped crystalized ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Place cucumbers and onions in a glass bowl; mix well. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a two cup glass measuring cup; stir well. Microwave for 2 minutes. (or pour in a non-reactive pan on the stove top and bring to a rolling boil.) Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool to room temperature. Pour into 2 cup glass jar with lid and chill overnight. Good for 2 weeks.